Coinciding with our special on whole chickens we’ve got this delicious chicken roast, inspired by Moroccan cuisine. It’s full of flavour and a pretty healthy option too.
- 1.8kg whole chicken, rinsed, patted dry
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 (120g) fresh or dried dates, pitted, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Roast pumpkin and baby spinach, to serve
- Whole Black Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Place couscous in a heatproof bowl. Heat stock in a microwave-safe jug for 1 to 2 minutes on HIGH (100%) or until boiling. Pour over couscous. Stir to combine. Cover and set aside for 3 minutes. Stir with a fork to separate grains. Stir in 1 tablespoon oil. Allow to cool completely.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes or until soft. Stir in coriander and 1 teaspoon cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add dates and cook for 2 minutes or until tender.
3. Add date mixture, pistachios and salt and pepper to couscous. Spoon couscous mixture and cinnamon stick into chicken cavity. Tie legs together with kitchen string. Place, breast side up, on rack in roasting pan. Whisk honey, ground cinnamon, salt and pepper, remaining cumin and oil, in a jug. Brush over chicken.
4. Roast chicken, basting every 20 minutes with remaining honey mixture, for 1 hour or until juices run clear when thigh pierced with a skewer. Stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Serve with pumpkin and spinach.
Please consider joining our new loyalty club. Jack Purcell Meats would like to give back to our most loyal customers.
Ask in-store for more details.
Thanks for visiting our site, please browse our latest specials and subscribe to our newsletter.